Planners should have a robust planning library that includes classic texts and new material. Below are recommended texts that should be in a planning library:
- Christopher Alexander, et al., A Pattern Language, New York: Oxford University Press, 1977.
- Christopher Alexander, Hajo Neis, Artemis Anninou, and Ingrid King, A New Theory of Urban Design, New York: Oxford University Press, 1987.
- Donald Appleyard, Livable Streets, Berkeley, University of California Press, 1981.
- Peter Calthorpe, The Next American Metropolis: Ecology, Community, and the American Dream, Princeton: Princeton Architectural Press, 1995.
- Gordon Cullen, The Concise Townscape, Oxford, UK: Architectural Press, 1996.
- Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater Zyberk, and Jeff Speck, Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream, North Point Press, 2001Allan Jacobs, Great Streets, Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1993.
- Ellen Dunham-Jones and June Williamson, Retrofitting Suburbia, New York: Wiley, 2008
- John Dutton, New American Urbanism: Re-forming the Suburban Metropolis, New York: Skira, 2000.
- Howard Frumkin, Lawrence Frank, and Richard Jackson, Urban Sprawl and Public Health: Designing, Planning, and Building for Healthy Communities, Washington: Island Press, 2004.
- Jan Gehl, Life Between Buildings: Using Public Space, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1987.
- Mark Gillem, America Town: Building the Outposts of Empire, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2007
- Allan Jacobs and Elizabeth Macdonald. The Boulevard Book, Cambridge, MA: The MIT press. 2003.
- Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities, New York: Vintage Books, 1992.
- Kevin Lynch, The Image of the City, Cambridge, Mass: The MIT Press, 1960.
- Oscar Newman, Defensible Space: Crime Prevention through Urban Design, New York: Macmillan, 1973.
- Ray Oldenburg, The Great Good Place, New York: Marlow and Company, 1999.
- Daniel Parolek, Karen Parolek, and Paul Crawford, Form-Based Codes, New York: Wiley, 2008.
- Robert Putnam, Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community, New York: Simon and Schuster, 2001.
- William Whyte, The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces, Project for Public Spaces, 2001.
Army IMJ Article I
Army IMJ Article 2
Army Public Works Digest January 2010
Army Public Works Digest January 2011
DOD Antiterrorism Standards
MCO 11000.12 PT 1
MCO 11000.12 PT 2
Introductions to Roundabouts
Army Public Works Digest January 2012
Army Public Works Digest January 2013
Army Public Works Digest January 2014